The Decision to Freeze Your Eggs
The best time to have a baby is an incredibly personal decision and one that takes significant thought and consideration. As part of this decision-making process, you may choose to freeze your eggs for the following reasons:
Timing: There are a multitude of reasons you may not be ready to start a family. Some of the reasons frequently cited by egg-freezing patients are school, career, travel, and—very often—not having met the right partner yet.
Future Family Planning: You may already have a child, but you know that by the time you're ready for more, you may be older and your ovarian reserve (egg supply) may be affected. By freezing when you're in your early- to mid-30s, your fertility at that point in time will be preserved for the future.
Uncertainty: You may not know if you want children, but freezing your eggs provides you with the possibility later on if you change your mind.
Known Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions may impair your ability to have children: endometriosis, family history of premature ovarian failure, or treatment for cancer, to name a few. Egg freezing can help to keep options open for the future.
Getting started is simple. The first step is to schedule a consult in which you will also schedule ovarian reserve testing. At your consult, you and your physician will review your current fertility and if egg freezing is a good option for you, right now.
Choosing Shady Grove Fertility
Shady Grove Fertility has been freezing eggs using vitrification technology since 2009, performing hundreds of cycles each year, giving us substantial experience with the process. Furthermore, enough time has elapsed to allow the accumulation of data for pregnancy outcomes in women returning to use their frozen eggs.
- All of our reproductive endocrinologists specialize in elective egg freezing.
- Thawing frozen eggs is an incredibly important aspect of the egg freezing program, as this is a very sensitive technique that can decrease your chances of conception if the right practitioner is not performing the thaw. At Shady Grove Fertility, we have a depth and breadth of experience with thawing that is unparalleled. More than 85,000 babies have been born at our center, and a growing number of those babies have been born from frozen eggs and embryos.
- We adopted the Ovarian Assessment Report (OAR) to provide the best and most accurate ovarian reserve information. The OAR combines age with anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels. This combination is put into a proprietary algorithm to determine your Egg Retrieval Score (ERS), which can help your physician assess your candidacy for egg freezing.
- We are the only fertility practice in the country to offer financial programs for elective egg freezing.
- We designed a streamlined process to simplify your experience while maintaining the highest levels of quality.
- Flexible appointment times are available.