About robert J. stillman, M.D.
Robert J. Stillman, M.D., earned his medical degree at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Duke University and a 2-year fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at Harvard University. Dr. Stillman is a board certified reproductive endocrinologist with diverse knowledge from more than 35 years of experience in teaching and treating reproductive disorders and infertility. He is a member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, was on the local board of directors of RESOLVE, and is a clinical professor at Georgetown University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Prior to joining Shady Grove Fertility, Dr. Stillman was professor and director of the reproductive endocrinology and fertility and in vitro fertilization programs at The George Washington University, as well as a faculty member at the National Institutes of Health.
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Harvard University
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Washingtonian's Top Doctors for Infertility, (1986–2015, 2018)
- Washington Consumers CHECKBOOK's Top Doctors of 2015
- RESOLVE National Award for Service 2013
- American Fertility Association National Family Building Award and National Advocacy Award 2009
- Good Housekeeping's Best Doctors for Women
- American Health's Best Doctors in America
- American Society For Reproductive Medicine
- Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
- Former member, board of directors, RESOLVE
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technologies
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Society of Reproductive Surgeons
"I just wanted to thank you again for encouraging my husband and me to only transfer one embryo. After several unsuccessful cycles, we were convinced that transferring two embryos was the right thing to do. We didn't really want to have twins, but we didn't want to risk disappointment again. You took the time to explain the statistics and helped us to understand that transferring one embryo did not decrease our chances for success, it would just dramatically decrease our chances of twins. I'm so thankful that we had one healthy baby. I had an easy pregnancy, and I have really been able to enjoy my time with my son. Again, I just wanted to thank you for the excellent advice and for all of your help in giving us the most amazing little boy."
"My wife gave birth to our first son, a very healthy baby weighing 8 pounds, 5 ounces. Thank you for your incredible talent and confidence, our family has begun at Shady Grove Fertility - and we will never forget that. Hoping to be back very soon!!"
"Dr. Stillman is very talented. We would not have our baby boy if it were not for him. He was very honest, caring and helpful when we needed guidance. He also had a sense of humor which is helpful in this stressful process. We had to go through several cycles and if it wasn't for Dr. Stillman's encouragement we would not have continued."
"Dr. Stillman and Joy both provided superior service. Fertility treatment is tough emotionally and physically to go through. I believe I was provided the best medical care and emotional support through the entire process. I would recommend Dr. Stillman to others. I also participated in the Mind-Body workshop – I would recommend this to every woman going through fertility treatments. I made wonderful friends and learned a lot of stress management tools that have helped me not only in dealing with fertility but it has also helped me deal with stress in other aspects of my life."
"Dr. Stillman is excellent and we love how he checks in on our cycle online even when he is out of town. It let’s us know he cares and pays attention. "
"I am so thankful for the incredible experience with Dr. Stillman. We were able to have our dream to come true. I wished I had him as my doctor from the beginning when I started the treatment for IVF. The money was 100% worth it. Everyone is so helpful and I absolutely love the nurse Vivian. She took such an amazing care of everything. I can't wait to see her again for my next treatment. Thank you for giving us the gift of a family."
"Exceptional bedside manners. Very welcoming and emphatic. Explains well, takes time with the patient. I would definitively recommend him."
- Clinical Professor, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Devine K, Stillman RJ, DeCherney AH. Building a family through in vitro fertilization—economic realities. Fertil Steril 2015;103:357-8.
- Devine K, Connell MT, Richter KS, et al. Single vitrified blastocyst transfer maximizes liveborn children per embryo while minimizing preterm birth. Fertil Steril. 2015;103:1454-60.
- Devine K, Stillman RJ, DeCherney AH. The Affordable Care Act: early implications for fertility medicine. Fertil Steril. 2014;101:1224-7.
- Stillman RJ, Richter KS, Jones HW Jr. Refuting a misguided campaign against the goal of single-embryo transfer and singleton birth in assisted reproduction. Hum Reprod. 2013;28:2599-607.
- Whitcomb BW, Turzanski-Fortner R, Richter KS, et al. Contribution of male age to outcomes in assisted reproductive technologies. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:147-51.
- Stillman RJ, Richter KS, Banks NK, Graham JR. Elective single embryo transfer: a 6-year progressive implementation of 784 single blastocyst transfers and the influence of payment method on patient choice. Fertil Steril. 2009;92:1895-906.
- Stillman RJ. A 47-year-old woman with fertility problems who desires a multiple pregnancy. JAMA. 2007;297:858-67.
- Richter KS, Van Nest RL, Stillman RJ. Late presentation with severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome is diagnostic of clinical in vitro fertilization pregnancy. Fertil Steril. 2004;82:478-9.
- Sagoskin AW, Lessey BA, Mottla GL, et al. Salpingectomy or proximal tubal occlusion of unilateral hydrosalpinx increases the potential for spontaneous pregnancy. Hum Reprod. 2003;18:2634-7.
- Sagoskin AW, Han T, Graham JR, Levy MJ, Stillman RJ, Tucker MJ. Healthy twin delivery after day 7 blastocyst transfer coupled with assisted hatching. Fertil Steril. 2002;77:615-7.