About Joseph E. Osheroff, M.D.
Board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology, Joseph E. Osheroff, M.D. completed his undergraduate work at the University of Pennsylvania where he graduated magna cum laude with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Bioengineering.
He received his medical degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Dr. Osheroff then entered the fellowship program in Reproductive Endocrinology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Following his fellowship, he was on the faculty of the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. After practicing in New Jersey for several years he joined Shady Grove Fertility Center in 2003. He is member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, the Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (PA)
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- Society of Reproductive Endocrinologists
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Q & A
Q: Why did you become a doctor/ reproductive endocrinologist (REI)?
A: To aid those who are in need gives me great satisfaction. Also, I find that early human development is one of the most fascinating areas I can think of to study.
Q: Who inspires you?
A: My patients and the perseverance they demonstrate in the face of great difficulties.
Q: What about SGF makes you the most proud?
A: Knowing that with all of our tremendous resources, our patients are getting the best care possible.
To aid those who are in need gives me great satisfaction.
“Dr. Osheroff was very knowledgeable. He also had great bedside manner. I did all my fertility treatments with him and would again. I would highly recommend him. In general, all the doctors, nurses, and staff I encountered were professional, and I went to several offices (Columbia, Annapolis, DC, Baltimore) for bloodwork and such because of my job locations.”
“After years of trying on our own, with no luck and having what’s called unexplained secondary infertility, I went to see Dr. Osheroff and nurse Kim Blackwell. From the beginning Dr. Osheroff had high hopes for me, even when I didn’t. Dr. Osheroff is very knowledgeable and nurse Kim Blackwell walked me through every step of the process. The office is very busy but I will take busy, as it means they know what they are doing. Be patient, as the infertility is frustrating and emotionally draining and can be financially draining. I am happy to report I am 26 weeks pregnant through IVF after 6 years of trying for my second baby. Thank you Dr. Osheroff and the team at Shady Grove Fertility!”
“Dr. Osheroff and the staff are very compassionate and knowledgeable. He knows his stuff and doesn’t try to push you. He is EXTREMELY thorough and in the end saved me from more heartbreak. He answered every question and always gave us all the information we needed; he was honest and I respected that. Dr. Osheroff had a great game plan and it worked! Our son was born on our first IVF cycle-a 5 day fresh transfer. He gives you his all and his staff are great. Nurse Kim Blackwell worked great with him and us. I am forever grateful to them for the best gift ever-my son!!!”
“Dr. Osheroff was kind, caring, and professional throughout our experience at Shady Grove. We would recommend him highly.”
“I really appreciate the way in which Dr. Osheroff provided feedback and the overall concern for my health and that he showed for me as his patients as well as the health of my hopeful baby. I am overweight and Dr. Osheroff helped me set realistic weight loss goals, he is very encouraging and I appreciate his praise.”
“Based on our prior experience with another fertility facility, Dr. Osheroff and his staff seem to be providing us an excellent service. They are very thorough, very professional and friendly. I can recommend this facility to anyone any time.”
“Dr. Osheroff is very nice and he listens to what you have to say. He answered all of our questions quickly and with confidence. We did not feel rushed.”
“Dr. Osheroff is knowledgeable, professional, and responsive. I was really anxious about starting IVF and he took the time to answer all of my questions and reassure me. Under his care, I got pregnant and now have a healthy 3 month old.”
“Best doctor and hospital. I really wish I knew this before I had baby delivered after 11 yrs of trying.”
“We have had the best experience with Dr. Osheroff. He has helped us with both of our babies!!!
“We were thrilled with our experience and outcome. Dr. Osheroff is fantastic! It was a tough road, but he helped us every bit of the way. The nurses and staff are wonderful. Highly recommend.”
- Single-donor and double-donor sperm intrauterine insemination cycles: does double intrauterine insemination increase clinical pregnancy rates? S. M. Zarek, M. J. Hill, K. S. Richter, M. Wu, A. H. DeCherney, J. E. Osheroff and E. D. Levens. Fertil Steril 2014;102:739-43.
- Osheroff JE, Visconti PE, Valenzuela JP, Travis AJ, Alvarez J, Kopf GS. (1999) “Regulation of Human Sperm Capacitation by a Cholesterol Efflux- Stimulated Signal Transduction Pathway Leading to Protein kinase-A Mediated Up-regulation of Protein Tyrosine Phosphorylation.” Molecular Human Reproduction, 5(11):1017-26
- Barnhart K, Osheroff J. (1999) “We are Over Interpreting the Predictive Value of Serum Follicle Stimulating Hormone Levels.” Fertility and Sterility, 72(1):8-9
- Barnhart K, Osheroff J. “FSH as a Predictor of Fertility.” (1998) Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 10(3):227-32
- Coutifaris C, Babalola B, Abisogun AO, Kao LC, Chin U, Vadillo-Ortega F, Osheroff J, Kliman HJ and Strauss JF 3d. (1991) “In vitro Systems for the Study of Human Trophoblast Implantation.” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 622:191-201