About cori tanrikut, M.D.
Cigdem ("Cori") Tanrikut, MD, FACS, graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania and earned her medical degree from the Georgetown University School of Medicine. She completed her urologic surgery residency training at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)/Harvard Medical School, and then continued on to Weill Cornell Medical College in New York to pursue a fellowship in male infertility and microsurgery. Upon completing her fellowship training, she became the Director of Male Reproductive Medicine at the MGH Fertility Center. While at Harvard, she was an Associate Professor in Surgery at Harvard Medical School. In 2015, she was named the Quality Chair for the MGH Department of Urology, and in 2017, she became the President of the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology.
Dr. Tanrikut’s research endeavors include assessing how lifestyle and medications may impact male reproductive health, sperm banking trends, and sperm-related factors to optimize fertility treatment outcomes. Dr. Tanrikut joined SGF in 2017.
- Residency: Urology, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship: Male Infertility and Microsurgery, Weill Cornell Medical College
Awards & Recognition
- Castle Connolly Exceptional Women in Medicine (2017)
- American Health Council Best in Healthcare (2016)
- Castle Connolly/Boston Magazine Top Doctor (2015, 2017)
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor (2013-2017)
- International Association of Healthcare Professionals Top Urologist in Boston (2012)Vitals Compassionate Doctor Award (2015)
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Andrology
- American Society of Men’s Health
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- American Urological Association
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
- New England Fertility Society
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America
- Society for Male Reproduction and Urology
- Society of Reproductive Surgeons
- Society for the Study of Male Reproduction
"I was extremely fortunate to have been a patient of Dr. Tanrikut's, who I found after spending the better part of a year searching for a specialist in male infertility that I could be comfortable with. Her expertise, professionalism and confidence won my trust, and it was well placed. My experience with Dr. Tanrikut was very successful, and her work has allowed my wife and I to realize our dream of having a family together. I can't say enough about Dr. Tanrikut - if you have the opportunity to become one of her patients, take it!"
- Stunkard A, Berkowitz R, Wadden T, Tanrikut C, Reiss E, Young L. Binge eating disorder and the night-eating syndrome. Int J Obesity 1996; 20:1-6. (PMID: 8788315)
- Stunkard A, Berkowitz R, Tanrikut C, Reiss E, Young L. d-Fenfluramine treatment of binge eating disorder. Am J Psychiatry 1996; 153:1455-1459. (PMID: 8890680)
- Jacobsen LK, Giedd JN, Tanrikut C, Brady DR, Donohue BC, Hamburger SD, Kumra S, Rumsey JM, Rapoport JL. Three-dimensional cortical morphometry of the planum temporale in childhood onset schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1997; 154:685-687. (PMID: 9137128)
- Tanrikut C, Sahani D, Dretler S. Distinguishing stent from stone: use of bone windows. Urology 2004; 63:823-826. (PMID: 15134954)
- Tanrikut C, McDougal WS. Acid-base and electrolyte disorders after urinary diversion. World J Urol 2004; 22:168-171. (PMID: 15290206)
- Ge R-S, Chen G-R, Tanrikut C, Hardy MP. Phthalate ester toxicity in Leydig cells: developmental timing and dosage considerations. Reprod Toxicol 2007; 23:366-373. (PMID: 17258888)
- Lee R, Li PS, Goldstein M, Tanrikut C, Schattman G, Schlegel PN. A decision analysis of treatments for obstructive azoospermia. Hum Reprod 2008; 23:2043-2049. (PMID: 18556680)
- Tanrikut C, Feldman AS, Altemus M, Paduch DA, Schlegel PN. Adverse effect of paroxetine on sperm. Fertil Steril 2010; 94:1021-1026. (PMID: 19515367)
- Kauffman EC, Kim HH, Tanrikut C, Goldstein M. Microsurgical spermatocelectomy: technique and outcomes of a novel surgical approach. J Urol 2011; 185:238-242. (PMID: 21074792)
- Tanrikut C, Goldstein M, Rosoff S, Lee RK, Nelson CJ, Mulhall JP. Varicocele as a risk factor for androgen deficiency and effect of repair. BJU Int 2011 2011; 108:1480-1484. (PMID: 21435152)
- Colaci DS, Afeiche M, Gaskins AJ, Wright DL, Toth TL, Tanrikut C, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Men's body mass index in relation to embryo quality and clinical outcomes in couples undergoing in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril 2012; 98:1193-1199. (PMID: 22884013)
- Afeiche MC, Bridges ND, Williams PL, Gaskins AJ, Tanrikut C, Petrozza JC, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Dairy intake and semen quality among men attending a fertility clinic. Fertil Steril 2014; 101:1280-1287. (PMID: 24636397)
- Afeiche MC, Gaskins AJ, Williams PL, Toth TL, Wright D, Tanrikut C, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Processed meat intake is unfavorably and fish intake favorably associated with semen quality indicators among men attending a fertility clinic. J Nutr 2014; 144:1091-1098. (PMID: 24850626)
- Gaskins AJ, Afeiche MC, Hauser R, Williams PL, Gillman MW, Tanrikut C, Petrozza JC, Chavarro JE. Paternal physical and sedentary activities in relation to semen quality and reproductive outcomes among couples from a fertility center. Hum Reprod 2014; 29:2575-2582. (PMID: 25164027)
- Chiu YH, Afeiche MC, Gaskins AJ, Williams PL, Petrozza JC, Tanrikut C, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Fruit and vegetable intake and their pesticide residues in relation to semen quality among men from a fertility clinic. Hum Reprod 2015; 30:1342-1351. (PMID: 25824023)
- Mínguez-Alarcón L, Afeiche MC, Chiu YH, Vanegas JC, Tanrikut C, Toth TL, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Male soy food intake was not associated with in vitro fertilization outcomes among couples attending a fertility center. Andrology 2015; 3:702-708. (PMID: 26097060)
- Xia W, Chiu YH, Afeiche MC, Williams PL, Ford JB, Tanrikut C, Souter I, Hauser H, Chavarro JE. Men's meat intake and treatment outcomes among couples undergoing assisted reproduction. Fertil Steril 2015; 104:972-979. (PMID: 26206344)
- Hayden R, Wright DL, Toth TL, Tanrikut C. Selective Use of Percutaneous Testis Biopsy to Optimize IVF-ICSI Outcomes. FRAP 2016; 2:1-7.
- Xia W, Chiu YH, Afeiche MC, Williams PL, Ford JB, Tanrikut C, Souter I, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Impact of men’s dairy intake on assisted reproductive technology outcomes among couples
- Hayden RP, Bennett NE, Tanrikut C. Hematocrit Response and Risk Factors for Significant Hematocrit Elevation in Testosterone Replacement with Implantable Pellets. J Urol 2016; 196(6):1715-1720. (PMID: 27287525)
- Liu J*, Tanrikut C*, Wright DL, Lee GY, Toner M, Biggers JD, Toth TL. Cryopreservation of human spermatozoa with minimal non-permeable cryoprotectant. Cryobiology 2016; 73:162-167. *co-first authors (PMID: 27498216)
- Mínguez-Alarcón L, Chavarro JE, Mendiola J, Roca M, Tanrikut C, Vioque J, Jørgensen N, Torres-Cantero AM. Fatty acid intake in relation to reproductive hormones and testicular volume among young healthy men. Asian J Androl 2017; 19(2):184-190. (PMID: 27834316)
- Tiseo BC, Gaskins AJ, Hauser R, Chavarro JE, Tanrikut C. Coenzyme Q10 intake from foods and semen parameters in a subfertile population. Urology . [epub ahead of print] (PMID: 27888150)
- Karmon AE, Toth, TL, Chiu YH, Gaskins AJ, Tanrikut C, Wright DL, Hauser R, Chavarro JE.Male caffeine and alcohol intake in relation to semen parameters and in vitro fertilization outcomes among fertility patients. Andrology 2017; 5(2):354-361. (PMID: 28187518)
- Gross MS, Phillips EA, Carrasquillo RJ, Thornton A, Greenfield JM, Levine LA, Alukal JP, Conners WP 3rd, Glina S, Tanrikut C, Honig SC, Becher EF, Bennett NE, Wang R, Perito PE, Stahl PJ, Rosselló Gayá M, Rosselló Barbará M, Cedeno JD, Gheiler EL, Kalejaiye O, Ralph DJ, Köhler TS, Stember DS, Carrion RE, Maria PP, Brant WO, Bickell MW, Garber BB, Pineda M, Burnett AL 2nd, Eid JF, Henry GD, Munarriz RM. Multicenter investigation of the micro-organisms involved in penile prosthesis infection: an analysis of the efficacy of AUA and EAU guidelines for penile prosthesis prophylaxis. J Sex Med 2017; 14(3):455-463. (PMID: 28189561)
- Cetrulo CL, Li K, Salinas HM, Treiser M, Schol I, Barrisford GW, McGovern FJ, Feldman AS, Grant MT, Tanrikut C, Lee JH, Erlichmann RJ, Holzer PW, Choy G, Liu RW, Ng ZY, Lellouch AG, Kurtz JM, Austen WG, Winograd JM, Bojovic B, Eberlin KR, Rosales I, Colin RB, Ko DSC. Penis Transplantation: first US Experience. Annals of Surgery (in press).
Other peer-reviewed publications
- Tanrikut C, Schlegel PN. Antidepressant-associated changes in semen parameters. Urology 2007; 69:185.e5-e7. (PMID: 17270655)
- Eisner B, Tanrikut C, Dahl DM. Chyluria secondary to lymphorenal fistula. Kidney International 2009; 76:126.
- Tanrikut C, Goldstein M. Obstructive azoospermia: a microsurgical success story. Semin Reprod Medicine 2009; 27(2):159-164. (PMID: 19247917)
- Tanrikut C, Goldstein M. Varicocele repair for treatment of androgen deficiency. Curr Opin Urol 2010; 20:500-502. (PMID: 20852425)
- Tanrikut C, McQuaid J, Goldstein M. The impact of varicocele and varicocele repair on serum testosterone. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2011; 23:227-231. (PMID: 21681090)
- Velasquez M, Tanrikut C. Surgical management of male infertility: An update. Translational Andrology and Urology 2014; 3:64-76. (PMID: 26816754)
- Hayden R, Tanrikut C. Detection and Management of Obstructive Azoospermia. Urology Practice 2015; 2:33-37.
- Tiseo BC, Hayden RP, Tanrikut C. Surgical management of nonobstructive azoospermia. Asian Journal of Urology 2015; 2:85-91.
- Hayden R, Tanrikut C. Testosterone and varicocele. Urol Clin N Am 2016; 43:223-232. (PMID: 27132580)
- Gabrielsen JS, Tanrikut C. Chronic exposures and male fertility: the impacts of environment, diet, and drug use on spermatogenesis. Andrology 2016; 4:648-661. (PMID: 27230702)