About brad swelstad, M.D.
rad B. Swelstad, M.D. earned his medical degree from St. George’s University and completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas. He then went on to complete a fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Brad B. Swelstad, M.D., earned his Doctorate of Medicine from St. George’s University and completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas. He then went on to complete a fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr Swelstad received a Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO) stem cell research grant during his postdoctoral fellowship at Johns Hopkins for his work related to germline stem cells in the adult human ovary.
As a former Howard Hughes medical scholar, Dr. Swelstad has received several academic and clinical honors during his career, including Outstanding Resident in OB/GYN, and the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Scholarship, a merit-based award for excellence in research. He has served as both medical director of a fertility practice and university clinical instructor for OB/GYN residents.
Dr. Swelstad is a fellow of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and is board certified in both Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
His personal interests include fly fishing, white water rafting, photography, soccer, tennis, skiing, running, and cooking. Dr. Swelstad often enjoys brewing his own nitro coffee and playing the didgeridoo, an instrument he learned to play while he was doing clinical research in Australia.
Dr. Swelstad joined Shady Grove Fertility in November 2018 and will be seeing new patients at SGF’s Woodbridge, VA and Fair Oaks, VA locations.
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Methodist Hospital
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Awards & Recognition
- Maryland Technology Development Corporation & Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund Grant, Johns Hopkins, 2010 - 2012
- Midwest Reproductive Symposium Fellow Scholar, 2012
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society In-Training Scholarship, 2010
- Dr. Perry Klein Outstanding Resident in OBGYN, 2007-2008
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility Award, 2008
- ACOG District XI and TAOG Junior Fellow, 2008
- Houston Gynecological & Obstetrical Society Research Grant, 2006
- Resident Research Competition Award, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2004
- Howard Hughes Scholars fellow, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1997
- Letters and Science Honors Society, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1997
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Maryland State Medical Society
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
"Dr Swelstad was a great doctor. He was always calm and reassuring and willing to go over everything I asked. He made things simple to understand and always had a back up plan."
"Dr. Swelstad was very friendly, knowledgeable, and patient. He took the time to answer all my questions."
"Dr. Swelstad has amazing bed side manner and he is very informative."
- Swelstad BB, Bazley FA, Kolp L, Garcia J, Zacur H and Kerr CL. "Expansion of Human Germline Progenitor Stem Cells in the Adult Ovary with ESC-like Properties." Submitted for publication.
- Swelstad BB, Balhara KS, Pashai N, Wallach EE, and Kerr CL. "Stem Cells of the Reproductive Tract of Women." Open Journal of Regenerative Medicine. 2(1):1-7, 2013.
- Swelstad BB and Muasher SJ. Requests for Mild Ovarian Stimulation for In-Vitro Fertilization.In: Sharif K, ed.Assisted Reproduction Techniques: Challenges & Management Options.Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing, pages 146-149, 2012.
- Gunderson CC, Swelstad BB, Zacur HA. "An update on Hormone Replacement Therapy." Postgraduate Obstetrics & Gynecology. 31(22):1-7, 2011.
- Brezina P, Purcell O, Ducie J, Swelstad B, Yates M, Christianson M, and Kolp L. "Breakage of Suture Material Leading to Fascial Dehiscence." Middle East Fertility Society Journal. 16:87-89, 2011.
- Swelstad BB and Kerr C. "Current protocols in the generation of pluripotent stem cells: theoretical, methodological and clinical considerations." Journal of Stem Cells and Cloning: Advances and Applications. 2010(3): 13-27, 2009.
- Swelstad BB. Injury to Inferior Epigastric Artery. In: Toy EC, Cleary LJ, Ross LM, Papasakelariou C, eds.Case Files: Anatomy, 2nd ed.New York:McGraw-Hill, pages 117-122, 2008.
- Swelstad MR, Swelstad BB, Rao VK, and Gutowski K.A. "Management of Gestational Gigantomastia." Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 118: 840-848, 2006.
- Katada A, Vos J, Swelstad BB, and Zealer DL. "A Sequential Double Labeling Technique for Studying Changes in Motoneuronal Projections to Muscle Following Nerve Injury and Reinnervation." Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 155(1):20-27, 2006.
- Bement WM, Benink H, Mandato CA, and Swelstad BB. "Evidence for Direct Membrane Retrieval Following Cortical Granule Exocytosis in Xenopus Oocytes and Eggs." Journal of Experimental Zoology. 286:767-775, 2000.