About david s. saffan, M.D.
David S. Saffan, M.D., received his medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia. He completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Georgetown University Hospital. Following a 2-year fellowship program in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at Harvard University, Dr. Saffan established his infertility practice in Northern Virginia in 1986. In the course of his career as a reproductive endocrinologist, Dr. Saffan was the director of the institute of reproductive medicine and has served on the board of directors for RESOLVE, an infertility advocacy organization. Dr. Saffan is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and reproductive endocrinology.
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Georgetown University
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Harvard Medical School
Awards & Recognition
- Northern Virginia Magazine Top Doctors for Infertility (2016-2018)
- Washingtonian's Top Doctors for Infertility (2005-2018)
- Washington Consumers CHECKBOOK's Top Doctors (2015)
- The Washington Post's Super Doctors (2012)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Society of Reproductive Surgeon
"Dr. Saffan blends superior medical knowledge with compassion. He helped us understand our infertility problems and have our first baby without needing any treatment. Then when we did need IVF he was right there for us - and was able to help us get pregnant with our second child, for which we are truly grateful."
"My wonderful son turned 18 yesterday. Dr. Saffan made him possible. I will be forever grateful. My son is absolutely everything I could parent would want. He gives me great joy and he is forging a wonderful life, with top-notch college acceptances pouring in as he caps off a fantastic senior year of high school. Thank you, Dr. Saffan!"
"Dr. Saffan is the best. I am forever grateful to him for our wonderful son and current pregnancy. He never gave up on me, and never allowed me to give up on myself, either. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him and his amazing staff to anyone (in fact, I already do!!)."
"Dr. Saffan put us completely at ease. He answered all of our questions and was very thorough. I chose the Annandale office because of him."
"Dr. Saffin took time to walk us through everything. I feel confident in his care and truly appreciate the time he took with us and made us feel like his only appointment for the day."
"Dr. Saffan was very nice and explained things well, but I find all the statistics to be a little confusing. It seems like many fertility doctors talk a lot about all the various statistics, which is good to know, but can be a little overwhelming."
"Dr. Saffan is the best. I will forever be grateful to him for my beautiful son, my current pregnancy, and for his compassion during rough patches in our journey. Dr. Saffan is beyond knowledgeable, patient, kind and has a great sense of humor. He always took time to answer our questions and talk through options with us. He never made us feel rushed or tried to sway us in one direction or the other. He was always honest about outcomes, but supportive of our choices. I cannot recommend Dr. Saffan and the Annandale office enough."
"Our family loves Shady Grove. Our Dr. is located in the Annandale office. But due to convenience we did most of our blood work and tests in Rockville. The offices are clean in both locations and the staff is really kind and professional. Dr. Saffan is the absolute best. We have 2 beautiful babies through the process and with the support of the team in both offices. God has been so good to us. We are thankful for all the help Shady Grove gave to us through the various treatments and with the shared help and shared risk programs. We've had great experiences when the treatment worked, through the downside of the process of trying to conceive and then with the wonderful blessing of our girls born nearly 2 years apart. They are both beautifully unique and highly intelligent little girls that bring life to our family. Thanks SGF!"
- Lanzendorf SE, Mayer JF, Toner J, Oehninger S, Saffan DS, Muasher S. Pregnancy following transfer of ooplasm from cryopreserved-thawed donor oocytes into recipient oocytes. Fertil Steril. 1999;71(3):575-7.
- Paulson JD, Asmar PA, Saffan DS. Mild and moderate endometriosis: comparison of treatment modalities for infertile couples. J Reprod Med. 1992;37:6.
- Bayer SR, Seibel MM, Saffan DS, Berger MJ, Taymor ML. Efficacy of danazol treatment for minimal endometriosis in infertile women: a prospective randomized study. J Reprod Med. 1988;33:179.
- Saffan DS, Seibel MM. Ovulation induction with subcutaneous pulsatile gonadotropin-releasing hormone in various ovulatory disorders. Fertil Steril. 1986;45(4):475-82.
- Bianchi DW, Beyer EC, Stark AR, Saffan DS, Sachs BP, Wolf L. Normal long-term survival with alpha thalassemia. J Pediatr. 1986;108:716-8.