About DesireÉ mccarthy-keith, M.D.
Dr. McCarthy-Keith earned her medical degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and also a Master of Public Health in maternal and child health from the University of North Carolina. She completed her Obstetrics and Gynecology residency training at Duke University Medical Center and a fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. During her fellowship, Dr. McCarthy-Keith’s research focused on the molecular mechanisms of uterine fibroid regulation and reproductive health disparities. She has special interests in male and female infertility, polycystic ovary syndrome, uterine fibroids, and in vitro fertilization. She has authored several peer-reviewed publications on reproductive and infertility topics and has presented her research nationally.
Prior to joining SGF Atlanta, Dr. McCarthy-Keith practiced general obstetrics and gynecology in Virginia and South Carolina. While in Maryland, she treated patients with reproductive endocrine and fertility disorders at the National Institutes of Health and Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Dr. McCarthy-Keith was a Lieutenant Commander in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps and held the position of Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
Dr. McCarthy-Keith is passionate about her vegan way of life. She shares her enthusiasm for plant-based nutrition with everyone she meets and she encourages her patients to incorporate healthy diet into their fertility lifestyle. A native of North Carolina, Dr. McCarthy-Keith is the proud mother of two energetic sons. She spends her free time in Atlanta visiting the zoo, strolling the botanical gardens, and cheering on the Braves.
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, National Institutes of Health
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Atlanta Magazine’s Top Doctors for Infertility (2017-2020)
- Georgia Trend Magazine Top Doctors (2020)
- Best Fertility Specialist in Atlanta by Kudzu
- Black Health Magazine’s Most Influential African American Doctors
- Who’s Who in Black Atlanta (2011, 2012, 2014-2018)
- Mom-Approved Fertility Specialist in Atlanta Parent Magazine
- American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Georgia OB/GYN Society
- Medical Association of Georgia
- Georgia State Medical Association
Q & A
Q: Why did you become a reproductive endocrinologist?
A: I was intrigued by the science aspect of REI, which is so cool! I enjoy the problem solving and technical aspects of infertility evaluation and treatment. I value the personal relationships that we build with our patients as we work together and it is extremely rewarding to celebrate when our patients get pregnant. Being an REI allows me to be scientist, detective, counselor, cheerleader, and friend to patients every day.
Q: What are your hobbies and why do you enjoy them?
A: I love bike riding, roller skating, running/walking 5ks, and soaking up the sun on my favorite beach. Enjoying the beauty of nature keeps me happy and calm. I am also very passionate about plant-based nutrition and I enjoy reading my favorite vegan chef’s blogs.
Q: What is something about you that would surprise most people?
A: I’m terrified of frogs.
Q: What about SGF makes you the most proud?
A: I am most proud to be a part of the countless families who we have traveled with along their journey to become parents. We are entrusted with their care during a very special and private time in their lives.
Q: What’s on your bucket list?
A: Meeting Stevie Wonder, guest appearance on Sesame Street, African safari with my sons.
Q: What is your approach to helping patients who are struggling?
A: I put myself in their shoes. I know the disappointment of a negative pregnancy test and the feeling of impatience when it’s not happening fast enough. I also truly believe that there is a plan for each of our lives and that when we submit to that will, challenges are easier to endure. I give lots of pep talks and plenty of hugs. I get to know my patients. I connect with them and let them know that I will see them through.
Q: How would you describe your personality?
A: I am an eternal optimist, with high energy for life and a positive attitude.
“Dr. McCarthy-Keith is the best doctor we could have ever hoped for to help us build our family. She’s honest, but reassuring. Her calm supportive care was just what we needed. With her knowledge and assistance, we have two beautiful children. We’re thinking about trying for a third and wouldn’t do it with anyone except Dr. McCarthy-Keith.”
“If you’re ready to start your family this is the place to go! The office is beautiful and the staff is professional and helpful. Dr. Desiree McCarthy-Keith is super knowledgeable, thorough, and kind! I love Shady Grove Fertility!”
“Dr. McCarthy-Keith is by far the best Reproductive Endocrinologist! She has excellent bedside manner and she makes time for her patients! Her staff is professional, knowledgeable and friendly. Thank you Dr. MK for helping us conceive our IVF miracle baby!”
“I don’t think there’s enough words in the dictionary to describe how awesome Dr. McCarthy-Keith and her staff is. They make you feel so comfortable and like family. You’ll miss them when your gone, I know I do . The nurses Rita, Lisa and Susie were there to help immediately with every question we had, no matter when we called or emailed them. By far one of the best decisions in life!!!”
“Words can’t express how grateful we are for Dr. McCarthy-Keith and team! They quickly became family from the beginning of our fertility journey. It took us 4 years and 3 losses to finally welcome our baby boy this April. Dr. MK and the nurses were always there with support and positive reinforcement that we had the right plan in place and that we would one day be parents. We recommend that anyone who is needing extra help starting or growing a family work with this group. They are the best!”
“Dr. McCarthy-Keith is an excellent physician. She has extensive knowledge and displays genuine concern for patients. She took the time to carefully explain the pros and cons of different treatment options and worked with us to develop the treatment plan that was best suited for our circumstances. I have recommended her to several persons without any reservations.”
“We cannot say enough wonderful things about Dr McCarthy-Keith and her incredible team! Every appointment we were made to feel comfortable, informed and energized about the exciting process ahead. We loved Dr McCarthy-Keith’s quiet confidence and ability to explain the process so we could understand. They held our hands and walked us through every step of the way and we never questioned what was next or what medicine we needed to take. We loved that we felt like we were visiting friends/family when we would go into our appointments! There is truly a special group of people that work at Shady Grove Fertility and it was always apparent they LOVE what they do!”
“I was a patient of Dr. McCarthy-Keith for about 3 years. We developed a plan and worked hard towards it. She never gave up hope and was more than just a doctor the entire time spent with the facility. Dr. MK continued to follow my progress after my successful FET and release from her office. She is amazing, trustworthy, and the answer to so many prayers. She certainly answered mine! I highly recommend her!”
“Dr. McCarthy-Keith is the best! She was extremely personable and professional. Our experience was positive and successful after the first cycle 🙂 I would recommend Dr. McCarthy-Keith to anyone trying to start a family.”
“Dr. McCarthy-Keith is an excellent physician! She treats patients with respect, has good clinical judgement and takes the time to explain the pros and cons of various treatment approaches to patients. She is not only caring and compassionate but also provides patients with emotional support/encouragement and takes a genuine interest in her patients. I highly recommend her to persons in need of a fertility specialist.”
“Dr. McCarthy-Keith and the SGF staff are amazing! I couldn’t have had a better experience. My husband and I visited another fertility clinic years ago and we did not get that warm fuzzy feeling that we were seeking. Our first encounter with Dr. McCarthy-Keith was awesome. She was very kind, emphatic, caring and thorough. This journey has been wonderful. Of course, I had a few bumps in the road and many questions. No matter how many questions I had, they never went unanswered. I will like to thank Dr. McCarthy-Keith and the entire SGF staff for such a pleasant and successful experience! God led me to Shady Grove Fertility and for that I am forever grateful…”
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Malik M, Britten J, Segars J, Catherino WH. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist increases expression of osmotic response genes in leiomyoma cells. Fertil Steril 2011; 95 (7): 2383-7.
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Armstrong AY. Myomectomy before IVF: Which fibroids need to be removed? Middle East Fertility Society Journal 2011; 16: 39-41.
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Armstrong A. Innovations in fibroid therapy. Therapy 2011; 8: 189-200.
- Malik M, Norian J, McCarthy-Keith D, Britten J, Catherino W. Why leiomyomas are called fibroids: The central role of extracellular matrix in symptomatic women. Semin Reprod Med 2010; 28: 169-79.
- Cook H, Ezzati M, Segars J, McCarthy DM. The impact of uterine leiomyomas on reproductive outcomes. Minerva Ginecol 2010; 62:225-36.
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Hill M, Norian JM, Millo C, McKeeby J, Armstrong A. Use of FDG-Positron Emission Tomography/ Computed Tomography to Localize a Hilar Cell Tumor of the Ovary. Fertil Steril 2010 Feb.
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Schisterman E, Robinson R, O’Leary K, Lucidi R, Armstrong A. Will Decreasing ART Costs Improve Utilization and Outcomes among Minority Women? Fertil Steril 2010 Mar [Epub].
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Levens E, Armstrong A, Nurudeen S, Nieman L. Recruitment and retention of women for clinical leiomyoma trials. Contemp Clin Trials 2010; 31: 44-8.
- McCarthy-Keith DM, Coggins A. Perineal endometrioma occurring during pregnancy: A case report. J Reprod Med 2008; 53: 57-8.
- Browne H, McCarthy-Keith D, Stegmann B, Spies J, Armstrong A. Ovarian response in women undergoing ovarian stimulation after myomectomy. Fertil Steril 2008; 90:e19-21.
- Malek R, McCarthy-Keith D, Levens ED, Merino MJ, DeCherney AH, Weinstein LS. A gastrointestinal stromal tumor in a patient with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A and metastatic medullary thyroid cancer to the ovaries. Endocr Pract 2008; 14:898-901.
- McCarthy-Keith D, Armstrong AY. The Menstrual Cycle in Women’s Health Across the Lifespan: A Pharmacotherapeutic Approach. 2010