ABOUT EUGENE KATZ, M.D.
Dr. Katz has retired.
Eugene Katz, M.D., is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and reproductive endocrinology. He received his medical degree in 1978 from The University of Chile, graduating magna cum laude. Dr. Katz then went on to an ob-gyn residency at Catholic University in Santiago, Chile. In 1981 he came to the United States and completed his ob-gyn residency at Tulane University in New Orleans in 1985. In 1987, he completed a 2-year fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
Dr. Katz served as assistant professor and director of in vitro fertilization at the University of Maryland from 1987 to 1992. Dr Katz joined the GBMC Fertility Center in 1992 and became director of the center in 1997. Dr. Katz is currently assistant professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a clinical assistant professor at the University of Maryland. He served as the director of the Baltimore-Washington Area Reproductive Endocrinologists, an educational organization of specialists, between 1995 and 1997.
Dr. Katz has published more than 60 journal articles and serves as an ad hoc reviewer for Fertility and Sterility. He has pioneered the use of the robotic da Vinci laparoscope for tubal surgery, particularly for outpatient reversal of tubal ligations, having performed the first of such procedures in a non-academic center in the Mid-Atlantic area in 2005. He is fluent in Spanish and understands German.
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Catholic University (Chile) and Tulane University
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Johns Hopkins University
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Washington Consumers CHECKBOOK’s Top Doctors (2015)
- Baltimore Magazine’s Top Doctor (2000, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)
- Washingtonian’s Top Doctor (2012)
- Best Doctors in America
- Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Q & A
Q: WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES?
A: I play the accordion and the piano. I enjoy photography, listening to jazz music, and watching soccer. I love to ride my bicycles and take long bike trips with my wife. I enjoy talking to my patients and more importantly, laughing with them.
I enjoy talking to my patients and more importantly, laughing with them.
“Doctor Katz and his team at SGF are a wonderful and dedicated team. They were so professional and organized. He always answered all my questions very clearly and promptly. The whole team was so supportive and warm. He walked us through our infertility journey and made it possible for us to hold a beautiful baby girl in our arms today! Thank you Dr. Katz for everything!”
“I cannot say enough great things about this doctor and facility. I arrived at Shady Grove Fertility after 6 failed medicated cycles at another clinic, ready to move on to IVF and ready for my baby. Dr. Katz agreed with me that IVF was necessary, and it needed to happen soon. His staff was there with me answering all of my questions every step of the way. Dr. Katz even found an issue with my husband’s fertility that the previous clinic had missed, and when I was hesitant on the finances he worked with me to make sure we could achieve our miracle. Amazingly, my first IVF cycle worked, I am now 25 weeks pregnant and could not be more thankful. I have no doubt that Shady Grove Fertility’s commitment to success made all of this possible. We cannot wait to welcome our miracle! Thank you Dr. Katz and Shady Grove Fertility.”
“The friendliness and genuine care of everyone of the staff from Diane at the front desk all the way up to Dr. Katz has been the best part of the experience. You don’t get this everywhere.”
“Working with Dr. Katz is so reassuring and calming! I loved that he listened to our story and questions and “got” it – and then gave us our plan from beginning to end. As someone who likes a plan, I really appreciated his thoroughness and patience when explaining each component.”
“I cannot thank Dr. Katz enough for his kind and compassionate care. With him and the Shady Grove Fertility staff, I felt a sense of hope that I had not previously felt such that no matter what our outcome, I knew we were in the right hands. The nurses and staff should be commended for the exceptional job they do. I do not have enough words to express my appreciation. I truly feel blessed to have had the opportunity to be a patient of Shady Grove Fertility’s in one of life’s most stressful circumstances. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”
“Dr. Katz is such a pleasure to work with. His bedside manner is one that many other physicians should model themselves to be like. Many times as a patient you feel uncomfortable enough just going in the office, however Dr. Katz makes you instantly feel like you are life long friends. In addition, his staff is also a pleasure to work with from Diana at the front desk /financial to the nursing staff Bernie and Tina. Being a nurse myself, I know that the atmosphere can be sometimes hectic and demanding but even under time constraints I always have the feeling of a quality and loving care.”
“I am so thankful to have been assigned Dr. Katz as our doctor when my husband and I had our consultation in March of 2015. He is a great doctor who makes you feel like you’re his only patient. The whole Bel Air staff is incredible and makes you feel very special.”
“Dr. Katz was simply what we needed after going years with out answers. He was always so calm and patient explaining every step in our individual plan that we created together. He took the time to make sure he reviewed my chart and knew everything that had been tested since my last appointment. He also has an amazing team behind him, especially RN Bernie. He is exactly the reason why we are successful in our adventure of pregnancy.”
“Dr. Katz and the whole staff at SGF in Towson are amazing! Dr. Katz was so compassionate through the whole process. He was great at explaining everything step by step and helping me and my husband feel comfortable. We conceived our first daughter in 2013 through IVF and our second daughter this year, I couldn’t imagine our lives without them and we have Dr. Katz and the whole team at SGF to thank!!”
“Dr. Katz and his staff at Shady Grove Fertility in Towson strive to make their patients comfortable during a stressful and emotional time. Dr Katz is always providing hope and encouragement. His funny personality can brighten your day. He’s always available to discuss my treatment options and help me plan out my next steps. Everyone there treated me like family.”
- Katz E, Akman MA, Damewood MD, García JE. Deleterious effect of the presence of hydrosalpinx on implantation and pregnancy rates with in-vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril.1996;66:122-5.
- Katz E. Effect of hyperandrogenemia in the adrenal response to adrenocorticotropin hormone (ACTH). Fertil Steril. 1994;62:1097.
- Katz E, Scherzer WJ, Mansfiled RM, Adashi EY. Effect of hyperandrogenemia in the adrenal response to adrenocorticotropin hormone (ACTH). Fertil Steril. 1994:61:567-9.
- Katz E, Ricciarelli E, Adashi Y. The potential relevance of growth hormone to female reproductive physiology and pathophysiology. Fertil Steril. 1993;59:8-34.
- Katz E, Goodman AL, García J, Rone JD. Evidence for the production of a non-steroidal angiogenic factor by human granulosa cells in culture. Fertil Steril. 1992;57:107.
- Katz E, Weiss BE, Schran HS, Hassel AE, Adashi EY. Increased circulating levels of bromocriptine (BCR) after vaginal compared with oral administration. Fertil Steril. 1991;55:882.
- Katz E, Schran H, Adashi EY. Successful treatment of a prolactin-producing pituitary adenoma with intravaginal bromocriptine mesylate: a novel approach to intolerance to oral therapy. Obstet Gynecol. 1989;73:517.
- Katz E, Yost BA, Adashi EY. Persistence of remnants of hormonally active tubal trophoblast three months following linear salpingostomy in the face of undetectable serum B-hCG. Int J Obstet Gynecol. 1989;29:79.
- Katz E, Dharmarajan AM, Suoka K, Ghodgaonkar RB, Dubin NH, Wallach EE. Effects of systemic administration of indomethacin on ovulation, luteinization, and steroidogenesis in the rabbit ovary. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1989;161:1361.
- Katz E. Unruptured luteinized follicle syndrome and other ovulatory dysfunctions. Fertil Steril.1988;50:839.