Laura Dubrule, RD, LDN, a nutritionist with Pulling Down the Moon in Rockville, MD, shares with us the “Recipe for Fertility.” This week we are getting in the holiday spirit – PUMPKIN – and tips for managing PCOS.
Laura’s Tip of the Week
Diet Guidelines for PCOS. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a disorder in which many benign cysts form on the ovaries. PCOS can cause the menstrual cycle to become irregular and can make it very difficult for a woman to conceive. New research shows that elevated levels of insulin may in fact be the root cause of PCOS because high insulin levels can increase luteinizing hormone levels and directly affect the follicles. This means that glycemic control is very important and can best be achieved with a good, balanced diet. Diet Guidelines for PCOS:
- Eat a diet high in fiber and low in unhealthy fats
- Eat a diet high in whole, unprocessed grains
- Maintain good blood sugar control
- Consume healthy oils, such as olive oil, and/or supplement with an omega-3 fatty acid supplement
- Eat a diet rich in legumes
- Consume at least one serving of cruciferous vegetables per day (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.)
- Skip the red meat and pork, moderate amounts of lean protein is best
- Eliminate saturated fats, sugar, caffeine and alcohol
- Choose organic
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup water
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon honey
Add oats and water to a small pot and heat on the stove over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add pumpkin and mix until completely incorporated. Continue to cook oatmeal another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon, walnuts and honey. Enjoy a bowl of pumpkin oatmeal this week!
Upcoming Yoga for Fertility Classes
Phase 1 Yoga for Fertility – Kensington, MD at 5pm
Sundays, November 4th-December 16th (not available on Nov 25th)
One Day Yoga for Fertility Retreat – Bel Air, MD
Saturday, November 17th
Join Shady Grove Fertility and Pulling Down the Moon each Thursday for a Recipe for Fertility.
To find out more about making healthy dietary choices visit us at www.pullingdownthemoon.com. To book a appointment online click here, or call our office at 301-610-7755.
To schedule a New Patient Appointment with Shady Grove Fertility please call 1-877-971-7755 or click here.