About Celso Silva, M.D., M.S.
Celso Silva, M.D., M.S., is a board-certified reproductive endocrinologist. He completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Brown University School of Medicine/Women and Infants Hospital, and subspecialty fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. In addition, Dr. Silva completed post-graduate research training in Reproductive Medicine and Infertility at Brown University and a Master Science Degree in Translational Research at the University of South Florida.
Dr. Silva has published several peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts, book chapters, and review articles in many leading scientific journals, and has been invited to present at national and international meetings. He is the recipient of multiple scientific and teaching awards, and is an active member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Society for Reproductive Surgeons. His interests include assisted reproductive technologies, pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), the impact of aging on infertility, and fertility preservation. His research has been supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dr. Silva joined Shady Grove Fertility in January 2018.
- Medical School: Jundiaí Medical School – São Paulo, Brazil
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brown University School of Medicine; Obstetrics and Gynecology, Santa Casa School of Medicine
- Fellowship: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Master Science: Translational Research, University of South Florida
Awards & Recognition
- Florida Society of Reproductive Medicine (FSREI) – President, 2017
- President of President Presenter Award – Outstanding Research Award (2005)
- David H. Nichols, M.D. Award – Excellence in Pelvic Surgery (2003)
- Excellence in Teaching Award – Brown University (2003)
- São Paulo’s Santa Casa Hospital Award – Outstanding OB/GYN Resident (1994)
- Jaime Rodrigues Award – Jundiaí Medical School – Valedictorian (1991)
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- Endocrine Society
- Florida Society of Reproductive Medicine
- Society for the Study of Reproduction
- Society for Reproductive Surgeons
Q & A
Q: Why did you become a reproductive endocrinologist?
A: During medical school, I learned about a new technology that was revolutionizing how couples with previous infertility could now achieve parenthood: In Vitro Fertilization. The cutting-edge science necessary to develop this technology was incredible, and I fell in love with the field of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility immediately. I knew that it would be a privilege to work with patients/couples who were struggling with infertility and facing a difficult time, and I am honored to be able to touch their lives.
Q: Who inspires you?
A: I believe we can find inspiration everywhere. We just have to pay close attention. I am inspired by my father, who is full of energy and positivity, and continues to work hard at age 75, because he loves it. I am inspired by my wife, who moved to this country with me and single-handedly took care of our family, including our three children while maintaining a full work schedule. Her outlook on life, her sense of humor, and her goodwill are contagious. I am inspired by all my co-workers at Shady Grove Fertility, who come to work every day motivated by the common goal to do the best that they possibly can for our patients. I am inspired by my patients who through adversity continue to endure in their quest along the journey towards parenthood. I am inspired by all of those who, in history, have strived to make the world a better place for all of us to live.
Q: What about SGF makes you the most proud?
A: What makes me the most proud about SGF are my co-workers. They are all unconditionally devoted to the SGF mission to put our patients’ interests and well-being first. And from all the physicians, through the nurses and other medical staff, to all the admin personnel, they all do their jobs with a smile on their faces and a positive attitude. In all, I am humbled to be part of an organization that does not settle for anything less than excellence in patient care.
Q: What’s on your bucket list?
A: I would love to be able to watch all the Tennis Grand Slam Tournaments (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open) during the same year, live, and from the best seat in the stadiums.
Q: Describe a time when you were inspired by a patient.
A: I am inspired by my patients every day, in every encounter. To see their journey towards parenthood by means of infertility therapy with the challenges that can come with it and see the courage with which they endure everything is truly inspiring.
Q: What is your approach to helping patients who are struggling?
A: I am a firm believer that each one of us is an individual being, with strengths and weaknesses, with fears and gallantry. As such, I strive to individualize patient care, paying attention to my patient’s emotions and hardships, and listening attentively to what they are trying to say or meaning to say. I deem it is important to empathize with them, in a non-judgmental and most supportive way.
Q: How would you describe your personality?
A: I would describe my personality as outgoing and social. I am easy to talk to and I try to be a good listener. I am a caring individual and I look out for others. I am honest, hard-working, loyal, and act with integrity. I am also a bit of a perfectionist.
To see my patients go through the journey towards parenthood by means of infertility therapy, sometimes facing significant adversity, and to see the courage with which they endure everything is truly inspiring.
“Dr. Silva was absolutely wonderful! He took as long as we needed at every appointment, however long that took, and never made us feel rushed. He answered all of my questions and others I didn’t know I had. I especially appreciated that he was honest about plans moving forward based on results so I always knew what was happening and felt more in control. He was kind, patient and personally called me multiple times to explain results. I can’t recommend him enough!”
“Dr. Silva was wonderful! He made my husband and I feel comfortable and he explained the process and procedures very well. We are very happy to say that we are pregnant and are so greatful to him and his team for all of their kindness and assistance in our journey!!! I would definitely recommend him to everyone!”
“We would like to thank Dr. Silva for the great help in fulfilling our dream to have a baby. From the very first appointment with him, we felt very comfortable and satisfied with his knowledge and without any hesitations we started our first IVF ever. Everything were taken care of with passion and love. All of his staff, especially Rebekah and Emily were very compassionate with their job. They worked as a GREAT team overall.”
“First experience at this office was absolutely amazing. From check in to check out I had a warm experience. The staff was very informative and caring. It seemed like they weren’t just there to do their job but to make a difference. I am excited my journey will be with this Shady Grove Fertility!!!!”
“I was nervous when I first started this journey but that went away as soon as I met Dr. Silva. He made me feel comfortable and hopeful. He was not only professional but also very caring, positive, and made me feel good about the whole process. He answered all my questions, removed all my doubts, and eased all of my concerns, as promised. By the grace of God, he made our dream come true… I became pregnant on my first IUI cycle. His staff is also amazing, nurses were sweet and returned calls promptly.”
- Hoffman, MS; Silva, C; Caceres, A Hysterectomy. In: Baker RJ, Fisher JE, eds. Mastery of Surgery. 7th Ed Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. In press, 2017
- Jayapryia, J, Patel, S; Silva, C Propensity score matched analysis of Letrozole vs Natural vs Down regulated hormone replacement cycles in frozen embryo transfer (FET) in women with prior failed FET cycles Submitted for publication – AJOG
- Jayapryia, J, Patel, S; Silva, C Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopy in Reproductive Surgery – A Contemporary Review Journal of Robotic Surgery. 2017; 11(2): 97-109 (online access: 10.1007/s11701-017-0682-4)
- Pedroso, D; Miranda-Furtado, C; Kogure, G; Meola, J; Okuka, M; Silva, C; Calado, R; Keefe, D; Reis, R Inflammatory biomarkers and telomere length in women with polycystic ovary syndrome Fertil Steril. 2015 Feb; 103(2): 542-7
- Lewis, JD; Silva, C; Quinn, GP; Lee, MC Fertility Preservation for Breast Cancer at a Tertiary Referral Center Breast Research Journal – online publication
- Silva, C; Chung, FS Pregnancy and cancer Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012; 732:89-102
- Kotto-Kome, AC; Silva, C; Whiteman, V; Kong, X; Fant, M. Circulating Anti-PLAC1antibodies during pregnancy and in women with reproductive failure: a preliminary analysis ISRN Immunology. 2011. Article ID 530491. Doi 10.5402/2011/530491
- Quinn, GP; Vadaparampil,ST; Gwede, C; Reinecke, J; Mason T; Silva, C. Developing a referral system for Fertility Preservation among newly diagnosed cancer patients with reproductive concerns J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2011 Nov 1; 9(11):1219-25
- Quinn, GP; Vadaparampil,ST; Tollin, S; Miree, CA; Murphy, D; Bower, B; Silva, C. BRCA carriers’ thoughts on risk management in relation to preimplantation genetic diagnosis and childbearing: when too many choices are just as difficult as none Fertil Steril. 2010 Nov; 94(6):2473-5. Epub 2010 May 5
- Nguyen, Q; Kapitz, M; Downes, K; Silva, C Are early human chorionic gonadotropin levels a predictor of response of methotrexate therapy for ectopic pregnancies? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010 – 202:630 e1-5
- Silva, C; Wood, J; Salvador, LM; Zhang, Z; Kostetskii, I; Williams, CJ; Strauss, JF Expression profile of male germ cell-associated genes in mouse embryonic stem cell cultures treated with retinoic acid and testosterone Mol Reprod Develop. 2009 Jan; 76 (1): 11-21
- Salvador, LM; Silva, C; Kotetskii, I; Radice, GL; Strauss, JF The promoter of the oocyte-specific gene, Gdf9, is active in population of cultured mouse embryonic stem cells with an oocyte-like phenotype Methods. 2008 – 45(2):172-81
- Silva, C; Sammel, MD; Zhou, L; Gracia, C; Hummel, A; Barnhart, K Human chorionic gonadotropin profile for women with ectopic pregnancy Ostetrics and Gynecology. 2006 – 107(3): 605-10
- Silva, C; Plosker, SM Early pregnancy loss and ectopic pregnancy. In: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Precis: Gynecology. 3rd ed. Washington, DC: ACOG; 2006. p. 103-112
- Frankfurter, D; Trimarchi, J; Silva, C; Keefe, D Middle to lower uterine segment embryo transfer improves implantation and pregnancy rates compared with fundal embryo transfer Fertil Steril. 2004 – 81(5): 1273-7
- Keefe, D; Liu, L; Wang, Wei; Silva, C Imaging meiotic spindles by polarization light microscopy: principles and applications to IVF Reprod Biom Onl. 2003 – 6 (2): 41-6
- Frankfurter, D; Silva, C; Mota, F; Trimarchi, J; Keefe, D The “Transfer Point” is a novel measure of embryo placement Fertil Steril. 2003 – 79(6): 1416-21
- Calzone, WL; Silva, C; Keefe, DL; Stachenfeld, NS Progesterone does not alter osmotic regulation of AVP Am J Physiol Regulatory Integrative Comp Physiol. 2001 – 281(12):2011-20
- Stachenfeld, NS; Silva, C; Keefe, DL. Estrogens modifies the temperature effects of progesterone J Appl Physiol. 2000 – 88(5):1643-9
- Stachenfeld, NS; Silva, C; Keefe, DL; Kokoska, C; Nadel, E. Effects of oral contraceptives on body fluid regulation J Appl Physiol. 1999 – 87(3):1016-25
- Stachenfeld, NS; DiPietro, L; Kokoska, C; Silva, C; Keefe, DL; Nadel, E. Physiological variability of fluid regulation hormones in young women Appl Physiol. 1999 – 86(3):1092-6
- Silva, CP; Kommineni, K; Keefe, DL; Oldenbourg, R. The first polar body does not predict accurately the location of the metaphase II meiotic spindle in mammalian oocytes Fertil Steril. 1999 – 71(4):719-21
- Silva, CP; Silva, V; Kommineni, K; Keefe, DL. Effect of in vitro culture of mammalian embryos on the architecture of the zona pellucida Biol Bull. 1997 – 193(2):235-6
- Aldrighi, JM; Martinez, TL; da Silva Filho, CP. Cardiovascular disease and hormone replacement therapy Arq Bras Cardiol. 1995 – 65(3): 249-54
- Aldrighi, JM; Silva, CP; Rabanea, AC; Roveran, V. Vulvovaginal Trauma JAMA – OB/Gyn. 1995 – 1(7):160-3
- Aldrighi, JM; Silva, CP. Acute Hemorrhagic Abdomen Ars Curandi. 1995 – 28(2):2-3
- Aldrighi, JM; Silva, CP; Rabanea, AC; Roveran, V. Acute Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Ars Curandi. 1994 – 27(7): 106-16