2015 was a year to remember. More and more people reaching out for the help they need to overcome infertility led to the expansion of the SGF team, now with 34 reproductive endocrinologists, urologists, Ph.D. scientists, geneticists, and more than 600 highly specialized Shady Grove Fertility staff who focus on supporting the infertility community. SGF also continued to deliver on our commitment to better support and engage the infertility community by increasing access to quality patient care with:
- New office locations
- More sophisticated laboratory protocols that improve pregnancy rates
- Continued clinical research that improves patient care and success rates
- More widespread infertility awareness through such events as National Infertility Awareness Week, Advocacy Day, the Walk of Hope, and the Cade Race for the Family
This year, we helped more couples than ever before realize the dream of having a family—something we are tremendously proud of. Read the top 10 highlights below:
Supporting the Infertility Community
- We welcomed three new doctors; Lauren Roth, M.D. of the Harrisburg, PA, and Frederick, MD, offices, Andrea Reh, M.D. of the Fredericksburg, VA, office, and our first full-time urologist, Paul Shin, M.D. to the practice.
- Many of our doctors and team members were at the forefront of reproductive medicine research. In fact, SGF presented four oral abstracts and 10 poster presentations at the premier education and research meeting for reproductive medicine, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine Annual Meeting (ASRM) in October. Among the findings Shady Grove Fertility presented this year, the three most notable include:
(I) A look at improved treatment protocol changes and increased success rates from delaying embryo transfer in favor of subsequent frozen embryo transfer (FET) when progesterone levels were elevated (II) a large analysis of how the number of moving sperm in the sample used for intrauterine insemination (IUI) improved the doctor’s ability to predict a couples chances of pregnancy, and (III) the largest study of its kind was published with results proving that pregnancy rates of women using their own frozen eggs had similar pregnancy to a fresh in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle.
- SGF continued its partnership with the free fertility app, Glow, to provide patients with additional resources and support. The app allows women to feel more in control of their fertility through cycle tracking and educational resources. Thousands of women and couples both locally and from around the nation interact daily and participate in live Q&A sessions. In November 2015, our very own Shruti Malik of the Fair Oaks, VA, office started contributing to the live “The Doctor Is In” forum where hundreds of women joined to have their questions answered.
- Shady Grove Fertility was honored to have nine of our reproductive endocrinologists named as Washingtonian’s Top Docs in 2015 for Infertility. As well, Dr. Paul Shin was named Top Doctor in Urology in 2015. And Isaac Sasson was named in the Main Line Today Top Doctor Issue in reproductive medicine for the second consecutive year in the Philadelphia region.
- Over 15 SGF representatives attended the 2015 RESOLVE Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill representing the one in eight couples across the United States who have infertility with the hopes of raising awareness and supporting legislative initiatives to increase patient access to the care they need.
- We also supported the ASRM and the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) in providing new IVF treatment discount for wounded veterans.
- SGF hosted the 2015 Egg Freezing Conference, which educated women to the facts and science behind egg freezing technology.
- SGF was named one of the best places to work 2015 by Baltimore Magazine. Perhaps the most unique aspect of working for Shady Grove Fertility is the number of employees who are former patients. Of the close to 600 employees currently on staff, many once came through its doors seeking compassionate, medical expertise to build their own families.
- Shady Grove Fertility CEO Mark Segal received EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2015 Award in the Health Category for the Greater Washington area.
- SGF staff helps the infertility community remember that they are not alone in a short video.