Thousands of women have decided to freeze their eggs, giving them the power to have children when the timing is right, not when their biological clock dictates they should have them. Egg freezing, a technique in which a reproductive endocrinologist removes a woman’s eggs from her ovaries and then freezes them and stores them in a laboratory, has revolutionized how and when women can have children. The technology that allows women to preserve their fertility has changed the course of reproductive health and leaves women feeling more empowered and less anxious.
Shady Grove Fertility’s Egg Freezing Program offers women the chance to not only test their fertility, but cryopreserve their eggs indefinitely through a streamlined approach that includes a physician consultation, various financial options, and more importantly, promising pregnancy rates for women who eventually return to use their eggs. Egg freezing benefits are more than just having frozen eggs, but freedom from the biological clock.
Here are the Top Five Reasons for Freezing and Egg Freezing Benefits:
- Eggs are in limited supply. Each woman is born with a finite number of eggs that steadily declines as she ages. Whatever that beginning ovarian reserve is, it will be at its most favorable for women in their early 20s, who experience average pregnancy rates of 25 percent each month. For women in their 30s, pregnancy declines to 15 percent each month, and eventually drops to 5 percent as women enter their 40s. While early menopause and premature ovarian failure can also affect a woman’s supply, egg freezing helps ensure the possibility that you will be able to use your own eggs and have biological children.
- Egg quality diminishes as women age. As you age, your egg quality diminishes. As the likelihood of conception declines each month, your likelihood of having eggs with chromosomal abnormalities increases, as does your chance of miscarriage. Egg freezing allows you to protect the current health of your eggs and increases your chances of conception through IVF in the future.
- Egg freezing allows you to maintain personal and career goals and maintain the dream of motherhood. Egg freezing puts women on the same playing field with men, whose biological clock may not tick as loudly, per say. The process will allow you to find a secure relationship, focus on your professional goals, and ultimately take control of your life by giving you a choice to get pregnant when the time is right, for you.
- You will leave you with more than just frozen eggs. The pressure to beat the biological clock is felt by many women. Many women have stated that after freezing, even knowing that they may never use their frozen eggs, they felt a weight lifted off of their shoulders. Freezing eggs provided a freedom to date, for example, without the nagging feeling of wasting time or pressure to rush into a relationship just because the biological clock is ticking.
- Egg freezing shows promising results, so you’re doing what you can to ensure the most successful outcome. The technology of freezing, thawing, inseminating, and implanting has been around for years, now. Thousands of couples and women have had babies from their frozen eggs. Even though the number of women who have come back to use their frozen eggs is not as large as the number of women freezing, based on a recently published study by Shady Grove Fertility’s, Joseph Doyle, MD, it has been proven that treatment outcomes with thawed eggs were just as good as fresh eggs.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2016 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness as of February 2019.
To learn more about egg freezing benefits or for more information about Shady Grove Fertility’s exclusive egg freezing financial programs, call 1-877-411-9292 to speak with one of our New Patient Center Liaisons, fill out this form to schedule an appointment, or register for one of our upcoming patient educational events.